Ultra Processed Foods Drive Weight Gain: Findings Of a new Study
We offer nutrition advice at Futureproof Fitness as it’s a key plank of any health and fitness programme. A new study just released has confirmed our suspicions: ultra-processed foods make you eat more, to the tune of 500 calories EXTRA per day.
Study participants on an ultra processed foods diet ate an average of 508 calories MORE per day and ended up gaining an average of 2 pounds over a two-week period. Whilst those on the unprocessed diet, ended up losing about 2 pounds on average over the same two-week period.
The findings are stark and we’ll be taking them into account when analysing our clients food diaries and offering nutrition advice. We see similarities in recommending a paleo-based diet and we’ve given some shopping tips below.
RESEARCH STUDY SUMMARY
• 20 patients received ultra-processed and unprocessed diets for 14 days consecutively
• Diets were matched for calories, sugar, fat, fibre and macronutrients
• Approximately 500 calories per day MORE was taken in by patients on the ultra-processed versus unprocessed diets
• Body weight changes were highly correlated with diet differences in energy intake
Our recommendations FOr you
The implications of this study strengthen our view here at Futureproof Fitness of a well balanced, wholesome, unprocessed diet. Home-cooked food is the single best option and our top tip for those wanting to lose weight. You’ll simply avoid these dangerous extra calories from ultra-processed food.
UNPROCESSED Foods TO eat
- Meat: Lean beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.
- Fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc.
- Eggs: Go for free-range every time.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries and more.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Healthy fats and oils: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and others.
- Salt and spices: Sea salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.
ULTRA PROCESSED FOODS TO AVOID
- Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup: Soft drinks, fruit juices, table sugar, sweets, pastries, ice cream and many others.
- Grains: Includes breads and pastas, wheat, spelt, rye, barley, etc.
- Dairy: Avoid most dairy, especially low-fat
- Trans fats: Found in margarine and various processed foods. Usually referred to as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
- Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, sucralose, cyclamates, saccharin, acesulfame potassium.
- Highly processed foods: Everything labeled “diet” or “low-fat” or that has many additives. Including artificial meal replacements like ‘protein shakes’.
a personalised Nutrition plan?
We can help if you’re needing a bespoke nutrition plan. We’ll first get you to fill out a Futureproof Fitness food diary for at least 5 days. It’s a bit of a chore filling out we’ll agree but it’s an invaluable reference for your trainer to analyse and tailor nutrition advice to you. Simply get in touch to tell us about your background and goals.